Tuesday, July 21, 2015

My Poland Relocation: Sweet Vengeance

Here's an accidental example of how telling people your relocation plan can be sweet vengeance, especially if you're a minority-American:

So a few weeks ago, I went out with a buddy and his girlfriend to meet another another couple we knew - a short but busty Vietnamese-American girl and her cool and ripped white boyfriend. I'm just chillin, observing, drinking my beer, and not saying much, so my buddy decides to get me involved, and lets slip that I'm retiring to Poland - not that I mind, since I'm ready for the usual questions after earlier bombardments by family and friends. Among them though, the Vietnamese-American girl asks me a new one:

"Why not Vietnam?"

Without thinking, I'm pretty sure I said something along the likes of, "I think I'll like Polish girls more," and instantly, her face goes a little sad. The conversation then resumed without skipping a beat to something related but different, but looking back at it, I realized what happened.

For possibly the first time in her life, she probably felt, by association with her Vietnamese heritage, for a brief moment at least, what most minority-American males feel for their entire lives - being passed on by some just for their race.

What's also ironic is that the same girl has said in the past that she doesn't like Asian males. But she's still curious as to why, as an Asian-American male, I didn't choose Asian females off the bat. lol

I know vengeance is ultimately a negative and self-destructive emotion, but this accidental example of it sure felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment